Amanda is an experienced communicator and digital space explorer, bringing analytical skills and an inquisitive mind from her clinical research days. Thinking creatively, beyond the confines of the box, she solves communications riddles for non-profits, leveraging social media for community awareness. She is equally passionate in translating complex theories into plain language as she is in telling the artist’s story behind a piece of work.
Portfolio and Experience
- Website design and content for PoMo ArtsFest 2014 (Joomla 3.2)
- Copywriter with Talk Science To Me Inc. – Science communications, including blog posts, scientific literature reviews, copywriting and associated research, web content and social media distribution.
- Web Writer for The V3H, in Port Moody and the Tri Cities, BC – Local events calendar maintenance; web content – weekly Events posts and local business reviews.
Communications Coordinator (contract, 5 months), Port Moody Arts Centre
- Website maintenance (Joomla 1.5) and content creation; publicity and press releases; social media team management and content scheduling; digital media; public relations and internal communications
Digital Communications (internship), Beedie School of Business at Simon Fraser University (SFU)
- Created event summaries and news items from faculty and staff interviews for online news pages, e-magazine articles and social media, promoting business school activities.
- Analysed school digital properties, creating a user interface audit for future planning.
Editorial assistant, Office of the Vice-President (internship, 5 months), Research at SFU
- Promoted SFU research and library activities for web and print publications, through news items, reports and publicity materials created from interviews with researchers and academic staff.
- Updated departmental web presence, working with the Manager, Faculty Research to develop and re-design web pages for a new CMS (Adobe CQ5), transitioning and optimizing old content for online audience engagement; content tagging for automatic publishing; transitioned SFU’s Research Matters as an epub for ereaders and tablets.
Social media manager, Blackberry Artist’s Society in Port Moody
- Improved community awareness and increased sales more than 25% p.a. by implementing a communications plan and delivering effective social media marketing.
- Increased customer engagement and brand reputation through innovative content creation (text, images) for weekly blog posts and MailChimp newsletter campaigns.
Postdoctoral Wellcome Research Fellow, Royal Veterinary College, London, UK